SHENANDOAH COUNTY SOCCER LEAGUE HOUSE RULES
Ages and Requirements
The Shenandoah County Soccer League has recreation divisions for under age six (6U) through under age nineteen (18U). Registration forms must be completed and signed with payment and a copy of the birth certificate (for first time players) attached in order to play. There will be no late registration forms accepted. Your coach will give you a Parents’ Code of Ethics form to read, sign and abide by, which he/she will keep for the duration of the season.
The age groups for Fall 2019 / Spring 2020 are as follows based upon your birthday in a specific calendar year:
- 18U (January 1st 2002 to December 31st 2004)
- 15U (January 1st 2005 to December 31st 2007)
- 12U (January 1st 2008 to December 31st 2009)
- 10U (January 1st 2010 to December 31st 2011)
- 8U (January 1st 2012 to December 31st 2013)
- 6U (January 1st 2014 to December 31st 2015)
Fall season games begin the weekend after Labor Day. Spring season games begin either the last week in March or the first week in April. There are no games on Easter weekend, Memorial Day weekend or Labor Day weekend.
All 6U-12U games are played in the small-sided format with fewer players on the team and field during a game on a sized down field.
The 06U division serves as an introduction to soccer, with a relaxed and informal atmosphere. 06U teams practice/play for one hour on Saturdays, using the first half of the hour for practice and the second half hour to scrimmage. 06U teams may practice one night during the week at the coach’s discretion (but most do not).
8U-18U teams practice one evening during the week and compete in one game per weekend (usually Saturdays with an occasional Sunday afternoon game). 10U, 12U, 15U and 18U teams may practice up to two times per week at the coach’s discretion, based on practice field availability.
Soccer shin guards and tennis shoes or soccer cleats are required to play. Players may not use baseball or football cleats. Please provide your child with a water bottle at practices and games and a soccer ball for practices. Parents take turns providing snacks/drinks for after the games, if desired by the coach.
Each player needs a complete uniform set for every season (two shirts and two sets of socks). We have a two jersey system for all games. The great thing about this system is that you can re-use the uniforms every season until your child grows out of the shirts or socks!
Home team (listed first on the schedule) wears a White Jersey and Black Socks.
Away team (listed second on the schedule) wears a Green Jersey and Green Socks.
The uniform is not included in the registration fee. All four pieces to this uniform are included when a complete uniform set is purchased. If you do not need the entire uniform set, individual pieces are also available.
It is smart to always bring both uniform sets to each game in case there is some confusion but please always prepare your kids according to the schedule!
Older and experienced players may want to try out for the Travel Teams for age divisions 10U to 19U. For information on the Travel Teams, please call the Travel Teams Commissioner, Tommy Miller at (540) 335-3433.
Important Information (Please note)
- Registration forms are dated and numbered in the order they are received for team placement purposes.
- Due to the varying number of registrants in each age group and availability of coaches, some teams may be made up of players from different areas of the county.
- You may request NOT to have a certain coach. Additionally, a coach may request not to have a specific player. Other special requests can no longer be considered due to the large number of players registering each season.
- For 8U and above, spectators must watch games on the opposite side of the field from the side the coaches and teams are on.
- Soccer socks are required and will be provided by the league. They are to be worn over shin guards.
- No jewelry (watches, earrings, necklaces, bracelets, etc.) shall be worn during games.
- No baseball or football cleats allowed.
- Hard casts are permitted only with a doctor’s written permission.