The primary purpose of the League is to provide every child who wishes to play soccer the opportunity to play while learning the fundamentals of the game in a safe environment; keeping in mind at all times the league motto: Soccer is about learning and having fun!
Because this is primarily a recreational league, concern and emphasis on winning is secondary to the enjoyment of the game. This also means that equal participation by every child is important regardless of their skill level within their age group. Additionally, it is the goal of the league to instill in the players the traits of good sportsmanship, respect for authority, and teamwork.
SCSL can be used as a “starting block” for more competitive levels. Players who wish to play at a more skillful level can try out for a travel team.
As parents, you must support the SCSL mission by reading and signing the Parents’ Code of Ethics and then living by what you have signed. In a nut shell, your mission should to set a good example for the children:
- Display good sportsmanship toward players, coaches, referees, and opposing teams at all times.
- Remember that this is a league for children, not adults. Put the children’s emotional and physical well being ahead of your desire to win.
- Ensure a healthy environment: free from tobacco, alcohol, drug use, foul language and profane language.
- Treat everyone with RESPECT, including referees, coaches, opposing teams and especially your child!
A violation of the Code of Ethics that you signed will result in the following:
- First offense – phone call from a SCSL board member to discuss the incident.
- Second offense – denial of the offender from attending their child’s (children’s) games and practices for the remainder of the season, or as otherwise directed by the Board of Directors.
- Third offense – denial of the offender and the child (children) from participating in soccer with the League, or other sanctions as deemed appropriate by the Board of Directors.
All coaches must sign the coaches code of ethics and all coaches, assistants and helpers must be “VYSA Kidsafe” background checked prior to the start of the season.