The U.S. Center for SafeSport is an independent nonprofit committed to building a sport community where participants can work and learn together free of emotional, physical, and sexual abuse and misconduct.
SafeSport.org is now the exclusive SafeSport training site for National Governing Bodies recognized by the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee. This includes U.S. Soccer.
The VYSA Board of Directors unanimously passed an updated SafeSport policy in August 2019 to include requirements from US Soccer. The Shenandoah County Soccer League will comply with this policy.
SafeSport Training for Players
The U.S. Center for SafeSport has released five training modules focused on Youth Athletes. The modules are age-based:
- 03. SafeSport for Preschoolers
- 04. SafeSport for Grades K-2
- 05. SafeSport for Grades 3-5
- 06. SafeSport for Middle School Athletes
- 07. SafeSport for High School Athletes
Each training module is 10-20 minutes in length. A parent/guardian must first create a SafeSport account in order to give consent for their child to access the training and select the module for their child's age. The training is free and can be found by clicking here (click "More" if the course you are looking for is not visible).
SafeSport Training for Volunteers (required)
All volunteers for the 2020-2021 year (fall or spring seasons) will be required to complete the SafeSport training. This policy was put in place with the new SafeSport policy passed by the VYSA Board of Directors in August 2019.
The SafeSport training will be valid for 1 year, with a refresher course required each year after.
- Make sure you use the same name and email address that you used when you signed up to volunteer. This is how the SafeSport training certificate will automatically upload to the VYSA database. If you do it correctly, manually uploading certificates should not be necessary.
- The training will take at least 90 minutes to complete. Applicants can start it and come back to it later.
- For technical issues with a SafeSport account, contact their Help Desk at 720-676-6417 or complete the online help form at https://safesport.org/contact
- FAQ can be found here: https://safesport.org/help/index
SAFESPORT TRAINING INSTRUCTIONS
1. Go to the SAFESPORT TRAINING LINK
2. Applicants may need to create an account and then verify their account with a link emailed to them from SafeSport.
3. On the "Add Membership" form, select 'U.S. Soccer' as your organization.
4. Enter your access code. If you have not received an email with your access code, contact your age commissioner.
5. There are 3 modules in order for the applicant to be SafeSport trained:
a. Sexual Misconduct
b. Emotional & Physical Misconduct
c. Mandatory Reporting
Once complete, the SafeSport certificate will automatically be uploaded into the VYSA database within approximately 24-48 hours.
6. Save a copy of your certificate for your own files! If it was not automatically uploaded you may need to provide it for verification.